Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Post-Holiday

I haven't blogged in too long. This story is getting tired, huh...

For the first time in a while, I didn't go see any fireworks this year. Oh, well. I kind of thought I would be sad about it but I'm not really. It's always hot and itchy and you can taste the bug spray in the air... bleh. I hate the taste of bug spray in the air.

I still sneak peeks at this guy Iwanski's blog. He wrote a good one today. Better than I could do.

Sometimes I wish I was an old lady. I see them on the bus, talking to each other, wearing their handkerchiefs and sensible pumps, clutching their purses in their laps while they look calmly upon everyone around them, half-smiling. I think it would be good to be an old lady. They seem content. (Although I guess maybe they really aren't--I don't know.) On rough days I think it would be nice to skip over the crappy middle part of life and go straight to the end where stuff evens out and you're just content. You did your business, made your decisions, for better or worse, and now you just sit back and let the ride take you where it will. You've got grandkids and mischievous 8-year-old neighbor kids and maybe some squirrels to look after, and that's it. At least in my imagination that's what it's like.

Ug. Why did I just eat a plate of food before bed? Never a good idea. But it's just that after I sliced up the potatoes and poured the oil in the skillet, I found out my pilot light was out on the stove so I couldn't cook anything. So I pulled out the little fire-starter trigger thingy but it didn't work--must've run out of fuel since the other day when I used it--and I couldn't find any matches. "I have no fire!" So after some thoughts of microwaving something until it caught fire and using that as a torch to light the stove with (Yes, I did actually briefly consider this. Fortunately for everyone in my building, I decided against it), I went downstairs to ask the neighbor if he had any matches--he works nights so I knew he'd be up. I knocked a few times, but no answer, even though I heard him talking. Oh, well. At 11:50 pm you're allowed to not answer the door. So then I ran across the street to the convenience store which is supposedly open until midnight. The liars! Some guys sitting smoking outside told me they really close at like 11:50 every night. I ran to another convenience store (with my flip-flops snap snapping the whole way, just as a mental picture) but they were closed, too. Shoooot! Luckily, I tried the high-rise apartment by me and the doorman was nice enough to give me a book of matches. Sweet. So I didn't start cooking 'til, I don't know--12:45, once I got the pilot light lit again. (Stupid maintenance! Don't turn off my gas 'cause the pilot light goes off and it requires heavy lifting, screwdrivers, and dirtiness to get it lit again.)

But, plus side, I put a little curry powder on the potato chips this time--very yummy. Curry is going to be my new thing. First up, Chicken Panang Curry. Requires fish sauce, though. Somebody told me once (I can't remember--was it Eamon?) that fish sauce comes from a questionable source. I think that'll have to be one of those "I'll choose to remain in the dark on that one" instances.) And while I'm at the south Asian food, I'm gonna try my hand at samosas. So excited--for once I'll be able to make them not spicy. I hate when something tastes good but I can't eat it because it's too spicy.

Okay, time for the sleeping.

Oh yeah! Your question: How annoying is Cingular for having such bad reception in the city? (Okay, that's more rhetorical.) But any advice for city cell phones would be appreciated.

Big Event of the Day (tomorrow): Buy toilet paper--only one roll left--oh no!
Percent Chance: 89.2%

8 Comments:

  • John and I switched to T-Mobile about a month after living in the city-so much better! I even get reception in my parking garage and elevator!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/06/2006 11:58:00 AM  

  • Becky's back! I second the recommendation of T-Mobile. I have T-Mobile, and get great reception in most parts of the City. Of course, if you are in the middle of your contract with Cingular you may have to wait so that you don't have to pay a termination penalty.

    So you want to be an old lady? Interesting. Becky with blue hair, driving around an oversized Buick, watching the Wheel of Fortune.

    I'm the opposite. I'm anxious about getting more of my goals achieved, before I get much older.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/06/2006 01:36:00 PM  

  • Hey Becky had blue hair, drove an oversized buick, and watched wheel of fortune when we were in high school! =)

    Okay maybe not the blue hair.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/06/2006 09:41:00 PM  

  • I read your blog from time to time and I admire your willpower to keep it up. It's hard to keep posting comments, I can't imagine what it would be to have to actually write it.

    I have T-mobile and it's great, I've used it in other states and I get very good reception (except in Houghton, Michigan, where there's no signal 100mi around!).

    I can't agree with skipping the midlife, I actually cant wait to do something for which I can be content afterwards!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/08/2006 04:12:00 PM  

  • I don't think I want to get old. Because all of your friends and family are dying. It's sad. I had a long discussion with a friend this weekend at a wedding about how everyone in the world is getting married. And how in like 5-10 years everyone will be having babies. And then we realized that like 50 or 60 years from now, we'll all be dying. So instead of getting together once a year or so for weddings or baby showers, we'll be getting together for funerals. And it made me sad. I think it must be really lonely to outlive your friends. I might want to be the first to go...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2006 11:38:00 AM  

  • Thinking about death doesn't make me that sad. If you beleive in an afterlife (like I do), its not really an end at all but a new begining. If you don't believe in an afterlife, its still not that sad if a person got to live a life full of good people in their life and happiness. Although sometimes it is sad when I know someone who has had a very hard life pass away. Like a woman that lived next door to me growing up that lived with an abusive husband for many years.

    This is probably getting a little too heavy for a blog comment, and is probably better suited for a late night philosophic discussion after drinking a few beers. Anyway, I hope Becky blogs some more this week.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2006 01:12:00 PM  

  • Hey, I'm all about the deep philosophical conversation. Laura, are you sure we're not the same person? You wrote almost the same thing as a post from a couple months ago! Hee hee, I win because I wrote it first.... Of course, in probably both our cases, it was because we'd recently gone to yet another friend's wedding.

    I have a blog in waiting--I'll try to post it tonight. BTW I'm eating bacon... been having a craving the last few days that needed to be taken care of. Yummmmmmay.

    By Blogger Becky, at 7/12/2006 12:27:00 AM  

  • Dude! We are the same person! Shoot! That means that I am a big poohead just like you! Oh no!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2006 12:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home