Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Experiments

How do they test diapers? Like, to research and develop things like the "feel-dry layer" and stuff like that? I mean, when you figure they probably have all these testing contraptions rigged up, these baby-sized clear mannequins or something, where they can do tests to see where the wetness goes... wouldn't you, if you were a diaper scientist, just rather wear one around yourself, so then you could see what it feels like? That'd be the best thing, 'cause all that fancy machinery can't tell you what it feels like, and not like the babies are talkin'. Of course, they'd have to make a special, grown-up sized prototype for you, made just like the baby kind but bigger. And to test it you'd have to spend a day bumming around the house, maybe crawling on the floor, standing up and falling down on your bottom, all the time eating and drinking and going in the diaper, to get a good idea how well it works. Then you'd take notes and present them to your diaper-scientist friends. Hmm. I wonder if they do this. It would seem more cost-effective than all that fancy machinery, especially for developing new products.

I made homemade potato chips tonight. So yummy. They are my new thing. It all started when I went out on Thursday and saw one of those "specials" displays sitting in the middle of the table, and the only word on it that stuck in my brain was "chips," and the whole rest of the night I couldn't stop thinking about eating them. So when I got home at 2 am, even though I knew I should go to bed 'cause I had to work in the morning, I sliced up 1/3 a potato and fried up some chips. (While drunk. ...Actually not a very good idea. Now, I didn't start a fire, but the fire alarm did go off, so I had to make it stop beeping as quick as I could, and even standing on a chair I am an annoying 1/2 inch too short to reach it, so I had to jump up and down until I knocked it down and it broke on the floor and the next day I spent about an hour trying to fix it.)

Anyway, the chips turned out real good, and tonight I made them again and they were even better. Slice the potatoes super duper thin and cook them in vegetable oil on medium-low heat, about 8-10 minutes. Then when they're done, you shake a mix of salt, seasoned salt, and garlic powder on them. They're as good as the yummy homemade chips you get at restaurants. Probably not any better for you, though.

Okay, now that you are done listening to all my bragging, I'll try to make up for it by asking you to brag. Your question is: What are you so good at that you can't help but brag?

Big Event of the Day: Going to bed
Percent Chance: 99.789%

2 Comments:

  • I brag about my work, and what I great job that I do; I brag about what some of my friends are doing with their lives; I brag about the condo I bought, and how I can't wait to move into the City.

    Bragging is tricky. On the one hand, you are really excited about something that you are good at/and or have. On the other hand, you dont' want to make someone else feel bad. It's kind of a carefull balancing game if you ask me.

    And by the way Becky, you do think a lot. Probably more than 99% of the population. I have never given a moments thought on how diaper Scientists do their work (and I'm useing the word "scientist" very loosely). My vote is that they probably just test diapers on real babies, and if the diapers don't leak, the diapers are a success.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/28/2006 08:20:00 AM  

  • Yes, Becky's brain does a lot of work. Little hamsters running frantically on their wheels in there.

    I brag about how I take good pictures, the fact that I've traveled a lot, and how I'm a good poker player. I also brag about how my sister is so funny, actually. So give yourself a great big pat on the back. And be careful not to knock over the hamster.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/05/2006 08:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home