Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Death-Defying

Going country line dancing soon! Must... write... blog!

The other night I was waiting for the red line subway, and I got to thinking. If the red line runs 24 hours, how do they change the posters that are on the walls of the subway track? Now I've seen people changing the signs that are on the bulletin board on the platform and stuff. But the ones on the far walls, across the rails? How can a person change those if trains are using that track? There's no room for them to stand there if a train goes by. Do they close the track down once a week? Like a 4:37 am on Tuesday night, just so they can change all the movie posters?

And by the way, I am--I won't say deathly scared--but let's say moderately wary of the el tracks. "Danger! Danger! Almost certain death!" all the signs say. If I'm wearing a backpack and I trip and fall onto the tracks, will my backpack get caught and keep me from crawling up? Will it weigh me down? Will I got electrocuted anyway and so just the act falling would be enough to make the end of me?

That's a lot of responsibility to put on us average folk. Trusting us to avoid our own death. Especially when you consider they poke holes in plastics bags so we can't suffocate and print warnings on bug spray cans that say, "Do not throw in fire. Do not poke hole in. Do not place in lit barbecue grill and then tell your unsuspecting friend to go check on the hot dogs," etc etc.

... And speaking of, revolving doors don't seem that safe to me either. But that is another discussion.

Here's your question: When you are on public transportation and didn't think to bring a book to read, how do you pass the time? a) look at other people, b) fall asleep, sometimes on other people, c) read all the signs posted in the bus, d) look out the window, e) obsess about your life/work/relationships/that stupid thing you did, etc., or f) other.

Okay, I'll write more when I get back. I'm late!

Big Event of the Day: Country line dancing
Percent Chance: 99.23% (unless I come across something really interesting and even better than line dancing on my way there.... maybe like if suddenly it was Mardi Gras and there were parades in the street, or if a building was on fire with flames leaping out and 20-story fire ladders rescuing people, or if I run into a friend who says that Laura Pausini is giving a free concert in the park and that it starts RIGHT NOW).

3 Comments:

  • On the bus, I do all of the above with the exception of b (falling asleep). I took the Greyhoud bus to Springfield Illinois once, fell asleep, and didn't wake up until I was in St. Louis. Doh! Now I never sleep on public transportation.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/24/2006 04:45:00 PM  

  • hi! i'm aj, shannon's friend who used to live near chicago. but i'm from pasadena. anyway all this talk of the red line and buses to midwestia made me think about the one time i took that double decker train from schaumburg back to evanston in snow under 100-degree fever. i forget the name of it now but it was a cool ride.

    By Blogger appojax, at 6/26/2006 08:10:00 AM  

  • I usually read everything there is to read, then I start watching people. It's not so easy, though, to stare at someone in a confined space. You have to do it very covertly. Sneaking glances and all. I like to watch people's feet. Then they just think you're looking at the floor, but really you're evaluating their fashion sense based on their shoes, judging their level of nervousness with the bouncing knees, looking for weird socks... It's fun.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/05/2006 07:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home