Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Reprimanded

I just got told to shut up by a neighbor across the courtyard from me. UH! I am so mad. Okay, okay, I didn't realize with it being warm out now people's windows are open and the music I was listening to carried more than it did in the winter. But do you have to yell, "CAN'T YOU JUST SHUT UP!?" out the window at me?

At first I wasn't sure she was talking to me, but I turned off my music and couldn't hear anyone else's, so I figured I was the evildoer she was referring to. Way to just come out fighting, jeez, lady.

After a moment's pause, I actually yelled back to the unseen voice, "You know, you're not very nice."

She sighed and said, "It's 2:30 in the morning and I'm trying to sleep!"

Get into shouting match across courtyard with bodiless voice? Sigh, no--I'll take it.. "Okay, sorry--I didn't realize it was loud."

"THANK you."

She could have said, "Excuse me--Can you turn it down?" or something similar. Didn't have to get all pissy.

God.

I really do hate getting yelled at or reprimanded. Every time I do, it makes me want to cry. I know this makes me a baby, but Shannon tells me she is the same way, so at least I'm not the only one, and maybe there are more of us still.

Just last night some really annoying music was coming out of someone else's window at 3 am, but did I say anything? No. If you want to live someplace quiet, go live on a deserted patch of land or in a monastary. Jeez.

Sorry.

Now I have no music to listen to, and it's hot so I have to have all my windows open, and I don't have air conditioning yet, so I can't close them and listen to something loud. Cranky bedtime girl may tell me to shut up again if I put in an episode of Buffy, which is what this situation calls for, an extreme cheering-up measure to undo the pissiness she caused.

I hate mean people. And the thing is, she didn't sound like a mean person, not on the whole, but she was definitely being mean at the moment. The only thing I'll give her is if maybe she was yelling before I heard her, and when I finally heard her she was on "shut up." If that is the case then fine, I'll swallow my pride.

Whatever.

I'm going to go curl up in my bed now where there are no mean people.

4 Comments:

  • It makes me cry too when people yell at me. But still. It was 2am. I probably would have yelled too. Maybe she had to get up early. One time, in Ithaca, we were tying to go to sleep on a Saturday night. It was at least 1 am, but the neighbors on the wall right behind the bed had their music thumping absurdly loudly. And not just where you could hear it, like it was actually thumping against the wall. So we banged on the wall. And yelled. And banged and yelled. And finally I got up, in my pajamas, and went outside and knocked on their door. Like ten times. No one answered, no one came, and here I was sitting on the floor in my pajamas, bleary eyed and miserable and tired. So I cried out of frustration and misery. Finally I realized that they must have gone out and left the music blaring, so I went back home and wrote them a really nasty note. Like scathing. And who knows, I might have been friends with them if I'd met them in other circumstances. But if there's one way to really piss someone off, it's keeping them awake all night when they need to sleep. Imagine how pissy you get when I wake up at noon. I'm sure she was feeling the same way.

    But then again, you didn't know that you were keeping you up, and if she had told you calmly you would have turned the music off and probably apologized. I'm always a fan of being civil before you blow up at someone.

    Ok. Gotta eat some breakfast. Good talk.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/29/2006 09:09:00 AM  

  • Becky,

    Your neighbor could have been much more civil. She should have got up, knocked on your door, and explained nicely that she had to get up early and would you please turn down the music. And I'm sure you would have. That is how I would have handled it.

    Last year someone stole a mop that I had left in the laudry room. I was really mad, because it was brand new. Plus I knew the the new girl that moved in took it. Instead of banging on her door and calling her a theif, I left a nice note in the hallway requesting my mop back. I got it back the next day. That is how you handle stuff.

    By the way. Get an air conditioner!! It is way to hot outside!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/29/2006 11:21:00 AM  

  • I had an apartment and I had a neighbor, and whenever he would knock on my wall I knew he wanted me to turn my music down and that made me angry 'cause I like loud music... so when he knocked on the wall, I'd mess with his head. I'd say, "Go around! I cannot open the wall! I dunno if you have a doorknob on your side but over here there's nothin'. It's just flat."

    -Mitch Hedberg

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/31/2006 12:52:00 AM  

  • Nice. Either you eventually became friends with this neighbor or his rage just grew. But it makes for a good story.

    By Blogger Becky, at 5/31/2006 10:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home