Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Foul

I write a nice juicy blog for you and nothin’. Not a single comment. Where is the love?

I had to climb the fence to get out of my building this morning because the front lock is electronic, and it was broken this morning. Not broken open--broken locked shut. Not a good idea, people. We already don’t have keys to the side gates, so this is our only way out. What if there was a fire? We would have all been trapped. And besides, not everyone is going to be physically able to hop that fence. It’s tall with vertical poles that stick out the top (threatening to impale intruders in the gut) with not much to hold onto. What if I were shorter, or older, or smarter and less fearful of bodily injury?

This is what I don’t like about technology. One, you get so dependent on it that you don’t know what to do if it breaks down. This is why I usually don’t use calculators to do math, like on my taxes and stuff. If I did, I’d forget how to do it by hand. And second, this relates directly to a pet peeve I have of when you ask someone, "What do I do if it doesn’t work?" and their response is, "It will work." And you say, "Well, yeah, but what if, for some unknown reason, it breaks?" And they say, "Trust me, it won’t break." When your backup plan is that you won’t need a backup plan, you’re just being stupid and setting people up for a disaster. Last summer I had a flight out to New York with a connection in Washington, D.C. The flight to Washington D.C. kept getting delayed and delayed. Finally I went and asked the guy at the desk, "What if I don’t make my connecting flight?" And he said, "You’ll make your connecting flight." And I said, Yes, but what if I miss it?" and he said (as if I were crazy to be concerned that I would have a window of less than 10 minutes (and shrinking) in which to make it from one gate to another), "You won’t." Guess what? I missed my flight.

Irritating feces-heads.

So then after the fence-climbing (which I accomplished, yay, successfully without injury to body or clothing), I called the maintenance guy at my building to explain the problem, figuring he’d want to know right away…People weren’t able to get in or out of the building. He started talking to me all irritated-like as if I didn’t understand, what was I talking about, everyone has a key to that door, you shouldn’t need a key….ARGH! I was getting on the bus at this point and I just told him, "Never mind. Hopefully someone else will call soon to explain the problem to you." I guess I should have been much meaner, but I was tired, getting on the bus and didn’t want to make a scene, and besides, he already thinks I’m Miss Over-needy Tenant, what with me calling to notify him that the basement smelled like an increasingly foul-smelling latrine with brown goo seeping up into the floor and that they maybe should fix it after waiting 3 weeks for them to notice it on their own.

I guess this is what it’s like to rent from a big company. Unsanitary and violating fire code.

Write me things.

Big Event of the Day: Go to the grocery store
Percent Chance: 50%

1 Comments:

  • I don't understand bad landlords? If I owned a building and there was brown stuff seaping in through the basement, I sure as hell would like to know about it so I could do something about it. I would be thankfull for a tenant that let me know.

    And you climbing over the fence because of the broken door? If I was the landlord I'd fix that before someone got hurt on the fence and sued.

    I would also be smart enough to relize that you want the kind of tenants who complain about things like brown stuff in the basement and urine smells, because tenants that speak up about these things tend to be tenants take care of your property. If you piss them off by ignoring their complaints, they will move out and you will get others who don't mind living with urine stank and brown seapage, and these are not the kind of tenants that you want.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/15/2006 02:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home