Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day

Tango was fun on Friday night. I got to hang with my favorite kind of people--people who are nice just because--not because they want something or because they want everyone to see and admire what exceptional human beings they are. They showed me new moves, danced with me even though I'm sure it was annoying, made sure I got home okay, and invited me to be sure to come next time. Since I learned so much there, I'm more optimistic about tango lessons as a whole.

On the other hand, Arabic was kind of annoying this week. The teacher spent a good 10 minutes telling us how hard it is and to prepare ourselves for years of frustration. True, it's only been 3 lessons (except really only 2 for me), but I feel like it's partly her fault we have no idea what's going on. All we've done is talk about the letters of the alphabet and watch her write words that use certain letters--she hasn't taught us how to pronounce the letters or read any simple words. The only thing I know is the word for book is pronounced ki-TAB, which I've figured out because that's her most common example word, but I don't know how to write it. Rrr.

But anyways, back at tango on Friday, in addition to the nice peopleness and the dancing, there was free food--rotisserie chicken and the best chocolate cake I have ever had in my life. You heard me. The best. I mean, I would have been jealous of myself if I wasn't myself. Kind of a disappointment, though--now every chocolate cake I have I'll be comparing it to that last one, thinking, "Yeah, it's good, but not as good as that one cake I had..." In a way I hate that cake. It ruined me forever, much in the way Thai Pastry ruined me forever with respect to both crab rangoons and pad thai.

Work was crazy today. Looks like it's going to be crazy for quite some time now.

Short blog today--hopefully followed by longer blogs once I get internet at home (What?!).

Big Event of the Day: Hook up my computer and get it running so the internet guy (or girl) can get it set up tomorrow (yes, finally! It's only been 2 months...and you would think it's their fault but really it's mine 'cause I was too lazy/cheap to call them)
Percent Chance: 90%

6 Comments:

  • My mom would would often say, "this is the best lasagna" or "the best (whatever she was eating)". She would say it so often, I have stopped believing people when they say it. But you really seem to mean it with that chocolate cake you had. That must have been some damn good chocolate cake.

    Hey, I bought a condo today in the West Loop area. They are still building it, but once it is complete, I will finally be a City dweller as well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/01/2006 09:24:00 PM  

  • Whoa. You bought a condo??? And you just mention it like that? "Oh hey, by the way..." Man. If it was me, that would definitely be my lead-off sentence at least. Possibly in bold. It's like my friend who is mad good at poker. He mentioned like 20 minutes into the conversation that he won $10,000 in a tournament. My god. I guess that's not big news to him anymore, but sheesh!

    A comment for Becky: I like how you phrase things in a fun way. Like how you would be jealous of you if you weren't you. It makes me smile and also giggle a little bit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/02/2006 09:20:00 PM  

  • 2 things:

    1. Laura. Thanks for the encouragement! Actually I couldn't sleep last night I'm so excited about my condo. It's going to be in this 14 story glass building in a up-and-comming neighborhood on the near west side. I'll be on the 7th floor, and my unit will have huge windows and a terrace (for grilling). Plus I got a killer deal. I was trying not to be show-off-ish, but hell, I've been saving for sooo long and looking for so long, maybee I should be.

    2. Yes, I love how Becky says stuff as well. She is a quite a wordsmith. That is why I'm so addicted to her blog. I like how she said, "in a way, I hate that cake, it ruined me forever".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/02/2006 10:10:00 PM  

  • Sweet! I have commentators now! You are standing on the sidelines with combined headphone/microphone devices in manner of the Thanksgiving parade or a Bears game!

    Garrett--Um, hello! Buying a condo! Exciting! I am very jealous of you and your condo with the big windows and the balcony. Ahh, balcony. Seems like every day now I get at least one whiff of grill scent on my way home. Oh, those balcony owners won't appreciate what they have until it's gone...

    By Blogger Becky, at 5/02/2006 10:15:00 PM  

  • off topic, but maybe useful... found this website that might be fun for you, Becky (and whomever else might find word stuff fun). I was reading another site, and saw "natch" and wondered what the heck it meant.

    http://www.slangsite.com/

    Apparently, it's a trendy way of saying "naturally". I did not know that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/04/2006 01:58:00 AM  

  • Hello Mikey! I will have to look at that site and maybe put it in my links.

    If you were looking at the boys' site and are referring to Katie, she is called Natch (I got curious, too, and asked them), because it's short for The Natural. Apparently she kicked everyone's butts at flippy cup the first time she played it and she earned her title that way. It's been her nickname since college. Cool, huh?

    By Blogger Becky, at 5/04/2006 09:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home