Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Gray

The other day I had a revelation. I noticed that I always seem to be more troubled about life in general when I have no other problems going on. Almost like my mind craves a problem and so creates one. And then I remembered something from The Matrix.

AGENT SMITH:
Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost.

Some believed that we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and suffering.

The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this, the peak of your civilization.

I know the enemy said it, and I know we're supposed to think how crazy and messed-up he is that he would think that, but I have to mostly agree with him. (Besides, I've found that in a lot of really great movies or TV shows, the enemy has some knowledge to impart--despite the fact that they're evil, you can't ignore the truth of what they're saying. I think it helps make them look more daunting, more godlike. Discuss.) So I have to agree with Agent Smith. People crave suffering. While people spend their lives trying to escape it--cold, hunger, the absence of love-- suddenly, if the world is peaceful, they find the need to go searching for misery when it's not there. At least if you're hungry, sick, homeless, have no money, are in physical danger, your problems are more urgent but less deep. You've got plenty of misery to deal with and don't need to go looking for more. But if you have everything you think you want (home, family, money, fulfilling job), you just have to look harder for problems. You have to dig deep to find them and the only ones you can find are the ones that you chew on for days on weeks on months on end: "Who am I? Why am I here? Do I matter?" (Now I won't be a true nerd and mention Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, but, you know, I could.)


And, okay, I know this will cross the line into making this a Matrix superfan post.... but while I was looking for that, I found this. Now I remember why I liked that movie so much. It's too bad that the sequels sucked, because it made people start to remember the first one as being bad, too, when it wasn't.

AGENT SMITH:
Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment. But you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area.

There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus.

Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague. And we are... the cure.


Sometimes when I see construction trailers and bulldozers perched at the edge of untouched farmland, I think of that.

Anyway.

Days like today, cold misty days with a smell of hot fried breakfast in the air, they make me think of Great America and how it seemed like every time we went it was cold and damp like that. It never seemed worth it to me, the getting cold and soaked to the core, toes turning into soggy icicles, even if we did get to go on all the rides with no wait.

Also, why is drizzle such a fun-sounding word and sleet such a hard, unforgiving one? It seems strange for two things so similar.

Big Event of the Day: Tango practice!
Percent Chance: 92%

6 Comments:

  • Wow, much to chew on. I agree that the matrix had some really interesting philosophical-like ideas to think about. I really like the premise and I do think there are things you can take away from it besides buttered-popcorn greasy fingers and a $9 hole in your wallet. Humans have totally removed themselves from evolution by altering our environment to fit us, rather than the other way around. There is no reason why people should be watering their lush green lawns in the middle of the Arizona desert. Or living in a city below sea level... If humans were meant to live in these places, we would have developed camel humps or gills. It all just seems so unnatural. That's why I didn't like Las Vegas at all.

    I wonder if part of the reason the divorce rate has risen is that more people (in America) have a high standard of living now. There is less to worry about on a day-to-day basis, and so we start to worry about our relationships. Maybe if we all had to pluck our own chickens and grind our own flour again we'd have less time to stress about our marriages...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/15/2006 12:07:00 PM  

  • Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs? I'm having a major flashback to my pychology 101 course. I memorized all of those stupid levels of needs. I never thought that I would think about those again, but here I am.

    Yes, lots to chew on. I've noticed that couples that struggle together (finanically & otherwise) often seem to be very close and happy. They work togher as a team to overcome the suffering. I had a friend in high school who was raised by his aunt & uncled who were very well off. They seemed very distant from one another. They never had the advantage of struggling together to bring them closer.

    One more thing Becky. Your blog came up during conversation on mothers day. My mom declared that the Shish Kabob we were eating was "the best she had ever tasted". I laughed, and mentioned that I commented on your blog that everything she eats is the "best she has ever tasted". I thought that I'd get in trouble for poking fun on mom on your blog, but instead she asked, "does this girl mind you commenting on her blog". I don't think so?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/15/2006 01:42:00 PM  

  • Yeah, I couldn't get on the Las Vegas fan bus either. I tried. But it's just like a big party celebrating human (and specifically, American) extravagance and greed (sorry to everyone who liked Vegas...).

    By Blogger Becky, at 5/15/2006 08:53:00 PM  

  • I completely agree about Vegas. I remember thinking that as I walked past a store full of expensive crap and the door wide open and the AC blasting out into the 110 degree heat. It just seemed so wasteful. And pointless. And then I realized why the Iranians call the west "decadent." We are.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/16/2006 04:47:00 PM  

  • Also, Garrett, no, I don't mind--you are one of my most loyal commenters! I live for commenters. I think that makes my life a little bit sad. Hmm. But it's true.

    By Blogger Becky, at 5/18/2006 11:37:00 AM  

  • Becky. I'm glad that I have commenting privileges. I enjoy reading and commenting, which is a little sad as well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/18/2006 01:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home