Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Small Rant, Ralph Macchio, and Morbidity

So I was looking at apartments again on Craigslist and took a detour through the personals section. Ay. Ay Ay AY AY. Stupid, stupid everybody dating people Becky not Becky bored Becky actually turning into Buffy the Vampire Slayer with the cheesy hair and the kickboxing and the aloneness and the witty banter that comes to nothing. Stupid dating-oriented world.

Okay, glad I got that out of my system. The reason I thought to write is that someone listed Wrigleyville as "Wriggleyville" and it just made me giggle. He he. Wriggley. ville. Makes me think of putting worms on a hook. And yes, I have done that, and yes, it is gross, and also, worms do bleed. I didn't know that. Blech.

So last night I saw a commercial that they were showing The Karate Kid III on one of the Spanish stations today. And it got me to thinking two things:
1. Why do the Spanish stations run better American movies than the English stations? They're not even as good in Spanish, because all the pop culture references and jokes and stuff don't translate.
And 2. What ever happened to the guy who played the karate kid? He was cute, and, if I'd been 14 (as opposed to an infant) when The Karate Kid came out, I'm sure he'd have been on my "oh so dreamy" list.

Well, I couldn't answer the first question, but I did find some info on the second. Ralph Macchio, who played the karate kid, didn't do a lot else besides the three Karate Kid movies. One well-known exception was playing opposite Joe Pesci in 1992's My Cousin Vinny. He lives what seems a very normal life by Hollywood standards: wife of 18 years and two daughters. Anyway, I was curious, so I thought you might be. I won't write any more about him, but if you really care, go to his page on imdb.

I'm feeling bad about worrying about Hollywood as opposed to real things, so to counteract it, let's check in with the bird flu, shall we?

. . .Oh, I shouldn't have done that. The headline of the CDC article reads "Turkey Reports Human Cases of H5 Avian Flu." Two confirmed infections, two fatalities. Now it's traveled all the way to eastern Europe. Can I just say I told you so about the whole bird flu thing? We all should be scared shitless. But I suppose, what are you going to do? For further morbid thoughts, please see my diary or the inside of my head--I won't write any more here.

Okay, I resisted the urge to delete that, because some people (ahem, certain sisters come to mind) like to worry about me (and it's kind of nice, actually). But! I am just passing the information along.

So finally, one more silly question: You know how frozen Snickers are better than regular Snickers because they're crunchier? And you know how Heath bars are good and crunchy even when they're not frozen, but they just don't have nuts or nougat? Well, why can't they cook the caramel and nougat in Snickers bars to a different consistency so they're solid at room temperature? I would totally buy those kind of Snickers.

Back to the working world tomorrow. Bye!

2 Comments:

  • Karate Kid 3 is not a good movie. Ralph Macchio was cute? Seemed kinda awkward, gangly, and generally odd-looking to me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/11/2006 04:11:00 PM  

  • Yay! A comment! Welcome, commenter. While your thoughts are welcome, I have to disagree... because you are WRONG!!! Allow me to explain. See, I think there are some movies (Star Wars and Hoosiers are examples that come to mind) that, even though they're totally transparent and full of cliches, are worthy of our attention because they set the bar for other similar movies. Karate Kid did the whole "heart plus athletics equals success" and "don't forget what's truly important" thing really really well. I think the fact that it still gets parodied so often is because it made a lasting impression. And Ralph Macchio was totally cute. Girls? Judge's ruling?

    By Blogger Becky, at 1/11/2006 04:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home