Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Titles Are Hard Work. No Title I Say!

The depths of despair have set in. I hate it when they stop by.

Anyway, I am trying to be productive and look for an apartment again. I had to put the whole process on hold for the holidays b/c I had too much stuff going on. Before, I really wanted a 1-bedroom so I could do whatever I wanted--cook, put on music, dance around, be messy, talk on the phone or watch TV at all hours of the day or night. But now I'm thinking I should get a roommate for the company. It's just the prospect of getting another roommate is not very appetizing. I just don't like having to choose between being lonely and being annoyed.

I said I would find out about revolving doors. Funny how something so common is hardly written about at all. I could only find three sites that mention it. One was an online thesis of some sort; one was an Onion-type spoof on the first paper, and one was a semi-incomplete Wikipedia article. But from what I gather (based on the Wikipedia article), one H. Bockhacker of Berlin got a German patent on it in 1881, and later, Theophilus Van Kannel of Philadelphia got a U.S. patent in 1888. Van Kannel marketed it as having "numerous advantages over a hinged-door structure . . .it is perfectly noiseless . . . effectually prevents the entrance of wind, snow, rain or dust . . ." "Moreover, the door cannot be blown open by the wind . . . there is no possibility of collision, and yet persons can pass both in and out at the same time." It also was good for "the excluding of noises of the street." Eleven years later, the world’s first revolving door was installed at Rector’s, a restaurant in Manhattan, in 1899.

Now, isn't that something you didn't really care so much about, but now, through no choice of your own, you have been forced to learn about? You're welcome. And no, I cannot give you the last 3 minutes of your life back.

When I was walking past the Daley Center on Friday, I saw a guy taking a picture of a girl in front of the big Christmas tree (yes, it's still up). She struck a pose against the guard rail while he walked way way far back so he could get the whole tree in the picture. And I thought, Man, that girl's going to come out really small if he's backing up that far. But then again, I figured, if he took the picture closer to her, then he couldn't see the whole tree. And suddenly I was struck by a lightning bolt that said, "Duh!" Why doesn't the girl just stand near the camera, far in front of the tree, so she is close up, and let the tree show up in the background? Why have I never thought of this? Such a simple idea. Anyway, so that's what I'm doing the next time I want a picture of something really big. (If you already knew this, please don't rub it in that I never thought of this until now. . . )

I talked to my Honduran friend Mili the other day. I embarrassed myself by making beginner-level mistakes in my Spanish grammar and I realized it is high time I either use my Spanish again or kiss it goodbye. Amazing how fast things can leak out of your memory. Once I finish Dune, I'll have to read a Spanish novel. They're just harder than English ones, and I'm lazy. Which my vast circle of readers (4? 5?) already knows.

I'm curious to see Brokeback Mountain. Heath Ledger used to be on my "oh so dreamy" list when I was in high school. (Silly Becky, he wasn't that cute.) Well, anyway, I would like to see it. And I'm glad I'm not a boy because then I could never see it without facing neverending torment from my friends. Plus some of the scenes would probably be very uncomfortable for me. Makes me wonder how it was for the actors--these presumably straight guys, used to being courted by Entertainment Tonight, posing for Seventeen and signing autographs for shrieking 14-year-olds. They must have faced a lot of heckling from straight people not wanting the movie made, and pressure from gay people to give an accurate portrayal. And now will there also be gay men waiting in line to buy their posters? Although, I guess Jude Law supposedly has a big gay following and he didn't play any gay roles that I've heard of. . . so maybe anybody who was going to lust after them would already be doing so. Well, the whole thing is interesting anyway. . . I guess it's what Boys Don't Cry was a few years ago.

I feel like I should post a longer blog since it's been a few days. But why should I feel guilty? If you really wanted to hear Becky thoughts you would just call me. So I guess it's time to put on a Buffy episode or two then. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home