Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Objects at Rest

You know that new John Mayer Song, "Waiting on the World to Change"? Truth is, it's always kind of bothered me. Not the tune--I like the tune. It's the words.

Let me back up.

See, obviously you know I think people should be nice. What you might not know is that deep down, I'm a little militant about it. In the same way my friend Lakshmi has little patience for people who are perennially late or who flake out on their responsibilities (ahem, surprising she still wants to be friends with me, right?)*, I have little patience for people who piss all over others. They just take up space instead of improving the world around them. When I'm feeling fed up with selfish, mean people, what I'm screaming in my head at them is, "Either make the world better, damnit, or f-ing get out of the way!" (Notice the language. That should be a sign I'm getting riled up.)

(*Interesting side note: I just realized it's a sign you know someone well if you can say what really tries their patience. Not what makes them irritated or angry--those are sometimes different things: For instance, I know my friend John gets disproportionately pissed off if people physically hit, pinch, or elbow him, even lightly as a joke. (I got in big trouble on my way to learning that lesson.) But what I'm talking about is what really gets their dander up. Take Christy--she can't deal with people who don't stick up for themselves. ...Which is good, you know? She's right. And if I hadn't had her around all these years to berate me for letting people walk all over me, well then I'd probably be more trampled than I already am. Hmm. I smell a question of the day for later.)

So obviously I agree with John Mayer that the world is shitty and unfair, and I share his frustration that he doubts it's ever going to get better.

But it's the word waiting that gets to me. Waiting on the world to change. When has waiting for something to happen been the best way to get it to happen?

I mean, look, I use the waiting method to clean my apartment. Yep, I sit around, hating the fact that it's dirty, knowing I should clean it, *secretly hoping (ooh ooh!)* that it will just magically get cleaner on its own.

Strangely enough, it never does. Shocker. In fact, all it does if I do nothing is get slowly, steadily worse*.

*Is this like a fundamental law of physics or something? Because it's true of everything. Your favorite sweater, a concrete road, the business you own--if you don't keep them up, they all skate inevitably into decline until you have to give up and start over. Which actually, hmm, calls to mind a certain man with a boat, now doesn't it? (Wow, didn't think I'd be bringing religion into this.) (Gosh, I have a lot of tangents today.)

.....

So since I'm a card-carrying member (and just as guilty as anyone), I'm allowed to say it: Sigh. The collective inertia of our generation is staggering.

Have you ever heard old* people talk about their college days? How they staged protests, sit-ins, organized rallies? They saw stuff they didn't like--inequality, the war--and they actually went and did something about it.

*Of course, don't tell them I described them that way.

Me, I know I should do something, but I don't know what (either that or I'm too lazy to make the effort to even find out what to do), so I basically do the old "lie down until the feeling goes away". Watch some Friends, read some blogs, wrap myself in a safe little cocoon of distractions until the intrusive buzzing sound of the rest of the world dies out.

Woe is me. I don't really do anything... but gosh darn, I sure do feel bad about it.

Ick.


Question: What about people do you not have the patience for?

Big Event of the Day (tomorrow): Continue my search for a sweater to wear over my dress for the wedding Saturday
Percent Chance: Of looking: 71.6%
Of finding something: I'm not too optimistic. 22%. It may be time to dig out a backup outfit.

11 Comments:

  • Becky,

    Good blogging. I'm the same as you. As long as someone is nice, I'll be friends with them or at least associate with them. If someone is mean or selfish, I'll have nothing to do with them. Life is too short to hang around such people.

    People that I don't have patience for? I addition to mean people, it irks me when I see people litter. On the way to work this morning, I saw 2 people throw their ciggarette butts on the street. I wanted to shout out, "the street is not your personal ashtray". A few months ago, a guy on the bus threw his gatorade bottle on the floor when he was done with it. It started rolling all around and making this annoying noise, until some woman got fed up with it and just picked it up. I wanted to say to the guy, "what the hell is wrong with you?" But of course I just sat their silently. I'm not a tree huger or even an environmentalist, it just seems that littering is selfish.

    Also, yes on the "waiting on the world to change". I've never given a momemts thought to those lyrics, but you are right, waiting is not going to do anything.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2006 09:29:00 AM  

  • I've actually had kind of the same reaction to that song. Not as well verbalized in my own head, but a gut reaction that there was something wrong with his assessment of the situation.

    And the natural law of things going to pot eventually is called entropy. (remember? It was the variable S in all those physics and thermodynamics equations that no one could adequately explain.)

    Here is your science lesson for the day: Entropy is basically the natural tendency for things to decay into disorder. The second law of thermodynamics is that entropy (disorder) always increases for a system. For example, if you have built a house of cards, it'll eventually fall down, dispersing all the cards. Or if you have an ice cube (a very ordered lattice of water molecules), it'll melt into water (a more disordered state). It is a little more complicated than that since the ice melts because it draws heat from the warmer room, so you would think the room is losing entropy (becoming colder = more organized). But actually the room is part of the whole system, and the amount that the room's entropy decreases is less than the amount the ice's entropy increases, so the entropy of the entire system (ice plus room) is increasing.

    Here's a pretty good description:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_%28energy_dispersal%29

    Whew. Isn't that just so interesting? Yeah, you all wish you were science weenies like me. We're so cool.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2006 02:43:00 PM  

  • Becky,

    You said once that you have a "Mean People Rule". I think that you said your rule is that will not do things to benefit mean people.

    This is probably a glass-half-full/glass-half-empty thing, but I relized this weekend that I have a "nice people rule". If someone is a good person, I'll always help them out; whether it is to change a flat tire, help with a move, get a ride to the airport, etc.

    This weekend I had dinner with an old friend from high school, who is just an all-around great guy. I paid for dinner without thinking twice, because I like to do good things for good people.

    So I think we have similar rules; but I like the "nice people rule" label instead, as it is more positive and optimistic.

    Speaking of optimism, I just finished a book on optimism called "Breaking Murphy's Law". It cited a study to help improve optimism. The study showed that people who keep a daily diary of 3 good things that happen every day, plus the causes of why these good things happen, are more optimistic. It sounds corny, but I'm trying it and it is pretty cool. Just passing that along.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/23/2006 09:43:00 AM  

  • *prod, prod*

    Hello? Anyone out there? Becky?

    *poke poke*

    Eh?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/30/2006 09:43:00 PM  

  • Laura, you are funny. Must run in the family.

    Becky, you were not kidding about being an "object at rest". Don't make us beg.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/01/2006 10:25:00 AM  

  • Wow, thanks! That made me smile.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/02/2006 09:07:00 PM  

  • Well, this seems like the end of Beckyland, Inc. Thank you for providing us with so much knowledge and entertaiment.

    I've probably learned hundreds of new things from your blog, including (to name a few off the top of my head): the orgin of Eggs Benedict, why "life savers" are called what they are, that it is the most energy efficient to run your air conditioner with the fan on high and the temperature low, what as "dastard" is, and much more than I care to know about "Buffy the Vampire Slayer".

    My favorite entry is fitting to reference here. You lamented on losing your black sweater, but than relized that it was better to have it for a while and then lose it, then to never have it at all. Well, I'm glad that we had Becklyand for the time that we had it. You did such a good job at providing free entertainment, and we thank you for providing it for as long as you did.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/15/2006 01:59:00 PM  

  • Just so you all know, Becky has been a bit busy (my fault) so it may not be the death of Beckyland, just a long vacation. You see, I (Christie) was rushed home from Mexico on the 4th with what, at first, we thought was a tumor in my brain. It is, in fact a rather large blood clot. I am undergoing treatment and should be back on my feet in another month or so. Becky has been being a good big sister and taking care of me. Please forgive her for leaving you all without witty commentary.

    Christie

    christie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/16/2006 09:11:00 AM  

  • Christie,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your illness. I hope that you have a speedy recovery.

    Garrett

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/16/2006 02:15:00 PM  

  • Christie! Please tell Becky to be more bloggy. And also I hope your head is feeling better. (and looking better. ha! ha ha!)

    Much poo,
    Laura

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/16/2006 07:01:00 PM  

  • I was going to add some comments about the second law of thermodynamics as well, but I see Laura has done a great job on that.

    Hoping all is well, and looking forward to reading new blogs...

    Nico

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/06/2007 06:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home