Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Previously Unmet Person Type

I talked to a real live transvestite today at the store. Didn't mean to--not like I spotted him from across the room, went up to him randomly and said, "Hey, so what's with the women's clothing?" (Although I wouldn't have put it past me.) No, I was minding my own business in the store and asked these two employees for help. One was a guy in his late 30s and black, and the other was a woman in her 50s and white. As I started talking to the white woman, I noticed something didn't quite match up. Besides the fact that she had too much eyeliner, her eyes didn't look right, and her voice was gravelly even for a gravelly-voiced woman. Ah, the light bulb went on--I was speaking to a man dressed in drag. Yes, that would explain the eyes and the voice. And come to think of it, I mused, her hair did seem to be oddly smooth and bouncy (really a wig), and her boobs were riding way too high for 20-year-old, let alone a 50-year-old.

She (he?) was cool, though. I talked to him a little about working in retail, and he said, "Yeah, I'm new here myself. I'm retired, and this is my new life." Interesting he didn't say "new job"--he said "new life." I wonder if there was meaning in that. Like maybe he dressed as a man before at his old job. I dunno.

Talking to him was like talking to a guy, not a girl--so much that you can tell it feels strange for me to use "she". (I wonder which pronoun he/she prefers? I bet it's different for everyone.) I even sort of got the feeling he was flirting with me. Maybe not though... It was weird. But in a good way. Hey, it was about the only interesting thing that happened to me today anyway. That and I found out I can make a quick and yummy milkshake by mixing ice cream, milk, and Oreos in a bowl with the back of my spoon. Mmmmmmm.

Time for bed. More blogginess soon.

Question: What's your favorite ice cream flavor or type (milkshakes, blizzards, etc. included)?

Big Event of the Day (tomorrow): Maybe go to some sort of performance of the World Music Festival which begins tomorrow
Percent Chance: 31%, since most of them are free and a few are within walking distance from work

3 Comments:

  • Which bathroom does that that transvestite guy use? The men's bathroom? Other guys in there would give him a weird look. I guess he would use the women's room, although he is really a guy anatomically.

    Answer of the Day: Cookie Dough Ice Cream with fudge topping. Although I also have a malt machine in my kitchen, and am known to mix up a malted milkshake every so often.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/14/2006 10:52:00 AM  

  • The "proper" or accepted pronoun for a transvestite (cross dresser) or transexual person is whichever way they are dressed. Example: person with a penis who is wearing a dress... she/her; person with vagina with facial hair*... he/him.

    I learned this while working in a store that sold adult stuff. I also worked with a transexual (person who used to be a different gender than they are currently, and had an operation to "correct" their gender) who gave me an education on these matters.

    And there's quite a lot of misuse of both transvestite and transexual, thus the parenthetical remarks.

    *Okay, facial hair does not make a woman a man, but I can't say pants on a girl makes her a man either. Geez, I saw a guy wearing a skirt the other day... pretty soon a man in a skirt isn't going to be risque either. In truth, it goes more to the gender identity the person chooses rather than their vestments.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/14/2006 09:19:00 PM  

  • I can't say I've ever met a transvestite (or at least I wasn't aware...) So I can't really comment.

    But I have met many a milkshake in my day. I am a fan of oreo, and definitely heath bar. And I recently got a butterfinger one and they wrote what kind it was on the cup. But they abbreviated it to "butt." It was tasty. I like butt milkshakes. mmmmmmm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/15/2006 12:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home