Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Las mañanitas

So my birthday is in exactly one week. Very exciting. It's been a big year. I'm sure I'll have something mildly self-reflective and maybe even amusing to mark the occasion. For now, though, I need to go to bed. (No, Garrett, I won't make you pay money for a new post, although I take it as a compliment that there is a tiny hole in your life on days when there is no Becky blog. Sigh. Ego, anyone? Yes, please, waiter--over here.)

It actually takes at least half an hour, sometimes an hour or more to write one. And I need to sleep. Especially if I'm going to achieve my goal, formerly attainable but that I haven't reached in at least a month and at this point I've pretty much stopped even trying, of waking up in time to take the bus that gets me to work on time as opposed to 5 minutes late.

That, and it'd be nice not to have my shower take longer than usual tomorrow morning because, for the 3rd day in a row, I keep finding myself unable to see anything....realizing, shortly thereafter, that it's because my eyes are closed.

Here's your question: Have you ever been to a wine tasting? What is your feeling on the people that go to them?
I went to one tonight. And, wow... snobby much?
.... Sometimes I think wines are overrated. A bunch of things that taste relatively the same, made out of the same stuff... Yet somehow it's an indicator of how educated and refined you are that you can describe the differences between them. You know, honestly, I like juice better. Why can't we have juice tastings? Stand around, decide which one has the crisper finish or melon undertones.... No, scratch that. ICE CREAM TASTINGS.
Okay, sorry. This is supposed to be your question. Please discuss.

Big Event of the Day (tomorrow): Laundry for my trip to Boston! (And plus I have no work clothes left, at least that don't require ironing, and who wants to iron in this weather?)
Percent Chance: Oh, let's be realistic. 6 pairs of underwear left, not counting an unopened package; a bathing suit that is technically dirty from lake water but that can be rinsed out in the sink; warm weather = sandals = socks not necessary; when lazy, just buy a new shirt instead of washing.... let's say a firm 50%.

5 Comments:

  • Cool! I got mentioned in your blog.

    Regarding wine tasting, I can not tell the difference between a $10 dollar bottle of wine and a $100 dollar bottle, so I usually buy wine based on how cool the label looks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/19/2006 12:24:00 PM  

  • That was me by the way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/19/2006 12:26:00 PM  

  • Never been to a wine tasting, but an ice cream tasting sounds far more appealing.

    By Blogger Wide Lawns, at 7/19/2006 01:39:00 PM  

  • I've been to wine tastings, and most of the people there are not really snobby. They just want to have a nice Saturday at a winery. But I totally agree with you about the juice tastings. I was at the store once (Trader Joe's, I think) and they had Gala apple juice and Macintosh apple juice and lots of other types of apples. And I realized that they always do that with wine (and yeah, you can taste the difference between types of grapes) but never with juice! And they should. Because granny smith juice tastes really different from golden delicious juice. It would be really fun to try and guess which one you're drinking. Remember when we used to do that with the Neccos? Or skittles? It's actually really hard. It's easy to recognize a flavor when you know what taste you're looking for, but much harder to identify it with it your eyes closed. Know what I mean?

    I have said a whole lot about nothing, so I am going to go now. Who knew I could pontificate at length about apple juice and candy?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 09:28:00 PM  

  • Happy almost birthday!

    You should come to a wine tasting with me and some of the girls - we just drink and eat, and someone occassionally drinks too much (nothing snobby about that :) But I do think it would be easy to go to a wine tasting with some pretentious / snobby people.

    I hope you have a great time in Boston - tell me all about it, I'm going in September for the first time.

    And I LOVE Ice Cream, I think that would be a LOT more fun than a wine tasting, so if you ever do one, I'm in =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/23/2006 10:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home