Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Boosting My Immune System

Do you really think it's true that you learn something new every day? Have you ever had a day where you didn't learn something new? Like say you sat at home and watched videos all day, videos you had already seen tons of times. Do you still think an original thought would pop into your head? I'm thinking it would. That's kind of nice and reassuring. I think we're built to be anti-stagnating.

I have a funny story. This morning, as I got off the train, I noticed a plastic grocery bag under one of the seats in my train car. It had someone's brown bag lunch in it. Oh no!, I thought, and I grabbed it and took it off the train to see if there was anyone coming back the other way looking for it. (I knew how the conductors, when they clean the cars, throw stuff away, having not too long ago lost my purple glove, and, possibly, my soft black wool button-up sweater (may it rest in peace).) Anyway, so I've got this lunch that I'm thinking I'll have very little chance of finding the owner of. So then I decide, well, if no one claims it, I'll give it to the homeless guy I see every morning. Won't that be nice of me (considering I ignore him every other day... I don't know what to do about that. I feel so bad, but we're told don't give them money because they might spend it on alcohol, etc...)? And wouldn't he like a free lunch? (Of course, seconds later I thought about if he really would want it, and what it would mean for me to hand him my cast-offs and the greater social implications, blah blah Becky-type excessive thinking scenario). It turns out that on the day I was looking for homeless people, I didn't see any at all. So I got to work with this unopened lunch--all I can see is there's potato chips sticking out the top. So what do I do? I eat the chips. Oh yes I do. I got much crap from my next-door cube mate Shannon about eating a stranger's food. But it was going to go to waste otherwise! Kind of gross, right? Oh, well. If I was a boy, you wouldn't think it was so weird, I betcha. So I guess I'm just asserting feminist values, that's what I'm doing. Incidentally, upon deeper inspection I found that the rest of the lunch was two sandwiches on white bread--gross round lunch meat turkey with too much mayonnaise and nothing else. That went in the trash. I do have standards, you know. I suppose on some other day I may not have eaten those chips, but today I did. And I'm still alive, so there you go.

On the train home today they announced our trains were running late because there was "an accident involving a fatality" at one of the crossings. I wondered how often something like that happens. It's just really sad. I bet that guy didn't wake up thinking he was going to die today.

I'm about to lose some money tomorrow. . . poker cash games tomorrow night. Why do I always lose so bad at cash games!?!? I'm just always the corporate sponsor of any poker night that doesn't play hold 'em. Fine, fine. At least there's free snacky food. . .

A short tally: no mean people today. One girl chased me down this morning to give me my glove that fell out of my pocket, and the lady who took my order for lunch was really nice and patient with my special order considering the 30 people bustling around in there. Final score: Nice people, 2-0.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home