Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Scientists Scare Me

Big event of the day: grocery store after work
Percent chance: 50% (let's be honest)

I saw Rent this weekend. (Or maybe it's RENT. Maybe it's one of those type of fancy name deals.) It was a good time, and we met some cool people waiting in line, but wooooo boy, so cold. We were outside for 6 hours. It was one of those, even when you go inside, you're still cold hours later 'cause your bones are frozen deep down. But now I get to say I did the die-hard, wait-outside-for-tickets thing. And for our sacrifice, we got to sit in the front row of a Broadway (well, Chicago Broadway, anyway) musical. I'd never sat in the front row for anything before. It's pretty cool. And only $20!

It's 11:30. This last half hour before lunch is killing me.

I am trying to think of interesting things, but none are forthcoming.

Okay, here's one thing I found out the other day. I was being all smart-like and reading Scientific American, so I swear to you this is true and not from a random website. Going off the success of making an artificial heart, scientists are now working on a way to make artificial cells so from there they can make whatever organ (or creature?) they want. Artificial cell wall, artificial all the little wiggly guys inside (the only one I can think of the name of is mitochondrion....). To me, it doesn't seem a far leap for them to want to make lots of different cells and teach them to work together.... like if they came up with the right "recipe" for lung cells, and skin cells, and brain cells, etc., they could make a functioning artificial human being! All they'd need is to make two of them with unique DNA and then they could reproduce and create a whole population of cyborgs and then they would take over the Earth as in every apocolyptic sci-fi horror movie made in this century! BWWUUHhuhuhuhuh. (That was me shuddering from the thought.)

Also, my friend Joe tells me that scientists have successfully crossed jellyfish and pig DNA to create pigs with glowing snouts. Like, just to see if they could do it. Ummmm, frankensteiny and unethical, anyone? Now I'm no huge animal-rights picketer, but I'm hoping there's a back story to that one, because right now it just sounds like a basement science project mess-around hobby kit, "New and Improved! With Real Animals!" specially designed for the sociopathic scientists.

2 Comments:

  • A 6 hour wait? I was going to ask you if you wanted to try to get the $20 seats for Wicked, but to hell with that now. The only way I'll wait 6 hours for an event, is if in involves tailgating and drinking for those 6 hours. I'd look pretty out-of-place in front of the Oriental Theater with grill full of brats and a cooler of beer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/10/2006 01:08:00 PM  

  • Cool! I want a glowing snout! Do me! Do me!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/11/2006 12:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home