Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Everybody Says I Think Too Much...They're Not Wrong

I burned my finger the other night on the toaster oven. Burns are no fun. I think, bang for your buck, they hurt more than most injuries. Most injuries, if you leave them alone, don't move, etc., don't hurt as bad. A burn, if possible, hurts more. Every time I stopped icing it, it burned like the flames of Hades. And the more I told myself not to think about it, the more I wanted to claw my hand off. But today's blog is more about cold things than about burning things, and definitely not about clawing things. But it is sort of morbid in the same way.

See, sitting at the table, trapped with a finger in a mug of icewater, the mind wanders. I noticed how the cold water stings after a while, and thought about how much worse it would be to have your whole body plunged into ice water instead of just a finger. My ice water was about the same temperature as every pond, river, and lake gets in the winter, and it illustrated for me quite clearly that there'd be a big difference between getting pushed in the swimming pool and falling in a frozen lake. It began to make sense to me that people could be paralyzed from the cold and unable to swim to shore. I always figured I'd be okay if I fell in really cold water, but would I?

I like to figure my worst case scenarios*, and normally, on this subject, it'd end well. Walking across a bridge, eyeing someone coming at me from the other direction, I might think, "If he were to suddenly push me off this bridge, I'd be okay. ...True, the backpack might weigh me down a bit, and for sure my cell phone would be ruined forever ...but I guess I have most of my friends' e-mail addresses or I can get their info from friends or relatives....", and I'd feel fine.

But now, well, can't be so cavalier about it, now can we?

*Playing worst case scenarios is fun. Usually because it makes you feel pretty good that it's not happening to you at that moment.

---What if the bus I'm on tips over? Could I climb out the window? If it starts to fall, should I hold on to something, or start climbing upwards?
---What if the guy at the next teller is about to rob the bank at gunpoint? Should I be brave and take him down, call for help, or cower in the corner?
---What if a chip of the skyscraper above were to suddenly fall off and come hurtling to the ground where I'm standing? Would I hear it first and have time to get away, or would it be too late? Or would it have started falling before I got there and so I wouldn't hear it break off?

I makes everyday life much more interesting, believe me.

Write me comments. I would like to know three things:

1. Has anyone actually fallen in near-freezing water and what it was like? Any tips? John is the only person I know who could answer this, but he was incomprehensibly drunk at the time so I'm thinking his recollection will be sketchy at best.

2. Random worst case scenarios you've considered at one point or another, or

3. Links to other sites that claim to tell you how to survive completely random and unlikely situations, like being trapped in a net, suspended from a tree (as many cartoons and cheesy sitcoms would have us believe happens every time you go camping).

6 Comments:

  • Duh, you have to go here: http://www.worstcasescenarios.com/mainpage.htm

    It's from the guys that do all those Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbooks. I didn't see anything about falling into a frozen river, but there are tips on how to fight a shark and how to escape from the trunk of a car.

    Boing,
    Laura

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/21/2006 09:07:00 PM  

  • Have you thought about a career as an actuary? Then you would get paid to think about "fun" things, like the chances of buses turning over or falling into frozen water.

    By the way, worstcasescenarios.com is the funniest site that I have seen in a while. Especially their tips on how to get rid of annoying Christmas carolers. Here are a few:

    1. open the door holding your telephone and say loudly into the phone, "I can't hear you over these damn carolers".

    2. demand that they sing bizzare carols that they have never heard of like "Rui Chi" or "The Zither Carol" (and then perhaps shake your head diapprovingly when they tell you that they do not know these).

    3. or if I could add one to the list, when you see them coming, toss on a yamika and a fake beard, and tell them as an orthodox jew you are deeply offended by their attempts to force their religous customs on you and then make some reference to Nazi germany.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/23/2006 11:47:00 AM  

  • me encanta tu blog, no se como se ve un comentario mio aqui, que no sea en tu idioma....

    By Blogger El mundo para Verónica , at 3/23/2006 12:56:00 PM  

  • Rene, no te preocupes...este va a ser un blog bilingüe, a ver quién entiende. ¡Gracias por visitar!

    By Blogger Becky, at 3/23/2006 01:26:00 PM  

  • I am so bummed! I tried to go to worstcasescenarios.com and I hit a firewall. (If I understand the meaning of firewall correctly, the message that comes up that I'm not allowed to access that website because it has been identified as inappropriate and/or offensive--that is a firewall, right? (Inappropriate? Offensive? I suppose, but I can think of worse...)) You know, I kind of like the imagery of just bodily crashing into a firewall. My mental image of a firewall is red brick for some reason--maybe because that's the color of fire. But, now that I think about it, it probably should be made out of fire, so it's a real fire wall. Hmm. Discuss.

    By Blogger Becky, at 3/23/2006 01:38:00 PM  

  • Ooh, I would be scared of being buried under rubble, too. I'm feeling more confident about the big crack in the earth, though. Just jump and run, jump and run.

    They say you should stand in a doorway if you feel an earthquake (or is that for tornadoes?), but is that really going to help you? I remember seeing old videos of teachers preparing students for a nuclear blast by having them hide under their desks. Um.... I'm thinking you're still going to be incinerated anyway or die from the radiation.

    By Blogger Becky, at 3/24/2006 09:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home