Beckyland, Inc.

Easing boredom since 2005
Adventures, thoughts, and useless trivia
Time to play!
Being a grown-up is fun after all.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Broken Pencil Day

Today was a horrible day. Good day to start a blog, right? By the time I got home, I really wanted to just do the old open the front door and scream as loud as you can thing. I used to do that when I was a kid. But that was before I realized the neighbors probably were worried I was being murdered or something. Also it really hurts your throat for a couple days after.

Let's not get into why it was such a crappy day. It was. That is all that needs to be said.

Okay, but I just have one more thing. I hate how in the winter your jeans and pants get creepy alien-looking salt stains up the back where they got wet and dried. Means I have to do more laundry.

Speaking of domestic chores, one benefit of living at home I didn't anticipate is that I don't have to do dishes. However, I don't think it's a fair trade, and in fact is much of the reason I felt like screaming earlier. . .

Just so maybe people will read this, I'll tell you some interesting facts I've learned since I started working downtown last month.

1. Cars look prettier driving down the street in the city than they do in suburbia, even in the day. They're shinier, like in car commercials. I don't think it's just because city people wash their cars more. I've never even seen a car wash in the city. No, my theory is it has to do with the reflections from the buildings and the reflected sunlight, etc. I'm still working on it. It looks cool, though.

2. On the Metra trains no one talks but on the El everyone does. I'm wondering if it's because people stand on the El and they're closer together, so they talk. Or maybe it's because suburbanites are older and more formal (like the grown-ups at my church, who make you feel guilty if you sneeze). Or is it that all the people on my train are white? What's it like on trains with lots of African American people? I can't imagine them being so stuffy. For now, I don't know which I like better--being able to talk, or not having to.

3. Corporate America sucks. I'm probably the last person my age to realize this, but that's because I was teaching for 3 years before that. More specifics on that later.

Okay, enough now. I have to go to bed SOOOO early now that I'm commuting. I'll put on my pajamas but most likely just stay up and watch another episode of Buffy, season 4 (thanks, John. . . you'll get them back eventually). . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home